Sunday, May 10, 2015

Hi!

First off, apologies for missing last month's slot - life whirlwind-ed around me! Suffice to say, with a lead job as a scriptwriter, freelance contracts, and an upcoming in city job as a copywriter, three full time jobs can make one a little absent-minded!

This month, I wanted to talk about favorite YA books - and why. Hopefully, this will be interactive and you'll tell me all about your favorite YA books in the comments and our TBR lists will exponentially grow!

So here's the low down on my top three YA books (in no particular order though, as I love them all for very different reasons!).



THE SCORPIO RACES
by
MAGGIE STIEFVATER




Why do I love this so? Because it is daring, breathless, with a setting that grabs you with its teeth and pulls you into a living, breathing world full of adventure and heartbreak. The writing is GORGEOUS and characters feel real. Oh...and it has horses from the sea...sure they might tear an arm off, but what's a limb compared to galloping high speed across the sand?



FORBIDDEN
by
TABITHA SUZUMA

 

This gets on my list as it's one of the most emotionally true books I've ever read. Is the content hard going sometimes? Sure. After all, it's about teens Maya and Lochan falling in love despite them being siblings. But don't judge a book by its bravery in tackling such a raw topic...this is beautifully written and Suzuma has a master's skill in getting the reader to care about her characters' heart-wrenching lives.



THE GOLDEN COMPASS
by
PHILLIP PULLMAN





Well...because. If you don't know, you either a) HATE fantasy, or b) do not read. Otherwise, I accept no excuses. The literary master at his best. To die for writing, sweeping, epic stakes, a world to rival any other, and daemons.


Now here's a question....what would YOUR daemon be?

Mine? Hands down a dog. :-)


Let me know in the comments and let me know your top YA choices!!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment