Saturday, April 16, 2016

Hanging out with MG author Christine Porter

Today I'm hanging out with a fellow South African writer, Christine Porter. Her MG books include Peril Beyond the Waterfall and Night of the Cologoro. 



A bit about Christine:

I am a Pretoria-based writer of children’s fantasy (mostly). This is largely because I refuse to take anything seriously, and believe things should be bent to my will. I did not anticipate that characters, much like people, have minds of their own and often will not be told. I am the middle of three sisters, bilingual, staunchly South African and an avid tourist (but a terrible photographer). When I'm not writing or travelling, I run a small electronic bookshop and provide friendly advice and manuscript prep services to other writers.

Instead of an author interview, today I'll be interviewing Jeremiah Dumnien, the central character in Peril Beyond the Waterfall. He also shows up again in Night of the Cologoro with a brand new sidekick.

1. Tell us about yourself in 140 characters or less.
I left my boring home town two years ago to find adventure and I don’t regret it. Laenutia is a lot more fun than Omondei!

2. What's the one thing you want the most?
To be a knight! I have to wait until my 14th birthday before I can even squire, but I’m practicing with the sword whenever my father’s not looking. I’m going to be the best knight Laenutia has ever seen.

3. What's the one thing you fear the most?
I’ve faced a lot of scary things, but nothing was more terrifying than Lord Null. I still have nightmares about his white staring eyes.

4. If you could be any animal for a day, what would it be and why? A dragon for sure! Imagine being able to fly around and breathe fire. I could go anywhere I wanted and do anything I wanted. What fun!

5. What's your favourite thing about Laenutia? There’s always something new happening. In Omondei it was just farming and chores. Now there’s magic everywhere, there’s always a creature to meet or a place to discover. I learn a lot about how things work and people treat me like a grown up most of the time. Except when I ask to be trained as a squire early, then it’s all “No, you’re still a kid!” Unfair.

Peril Beyond the Waterfall is available right now! Night of the Cologoro will be released May 31, so keep a look out for that. Jeremiah sounds like a really cool kid with big dreams.

~Suzanne~

No comments:

Post a Comment